In some cold regions, the low temperature may reach minus 10 ~ 20 degrees Celsius, while the required working temperature of the miner is 0 ~ 40 degrees Celsius. This guide will help to prevent and resolve problems such as burnt hashboard, missing hashboard, missing chips, low-temperature protection, high-temperature protection, and temperature failure caused by low temperature.
I. Inspections before Installation
- Bumps and collisions may occur during transportation. Shake the miner and look out for loose heat sinks. If the miner makes an abnormal sound, the heat sinks may fall off due to transportation. Do not continue the installation.
- The temperature in some cold areas is very low. After a long journey before arrival, the internal temperature in the miner may be much lower than 0 degrees Celsius. After unpacking the equipment, please place it under 25 degrees Celsius (such as the hot air area in a mining farm) and warm it up for 30 minutes before setting on shelves.
Note: The purpose of warming up is to raise the temperature of the miner and at the same time disperse the water vapor inside the machine. The place where preheating the miner should be as dry as possible and without high humidity.
II. Preparation before Powering-up
The miner needs to work above 0 degrees Celsius, and it will enter protection mode minus 5 degrees Celsius. If the inlet air of the miner is lower than minus 5 degrees Celsius, it needs to be warmed up before operating. The method of warming up is as follows:
- Adjust the airflow
Turn the direction and adjust the angle of the miner Then return the hot air discharged from the mining machine to the cold air zone for heating. Adjust the amount of incoming and outgoing air (ensure that the incoming and outgoing air is unobstructed), thus increasing the incoming air temperature.
Note: When preheating, try to make the miner evenly heated to avoid extreme conditions such as single-point heating or air blocking.
III. Operation after Booting
- Check if the firmware is the latest version (compared to the ones on our official website). If it is not the latest version, you need to upgrade to the latest firmware before setting up the pool. The firmware download link: https://service.bitmain.com/support/download?product
Note: Please check the MD5 value after downloading the firmware.
When upgrading a single machine via the web page, please use our recommended browser: Google or Firefox. Using other browsers to upgrade may cause issues. If the following problem occurs during the upgrade, please restart the miner before proceeding.
It is recommended to use BTC tool or Antpool batch tool for batch upgrade.
- BTC tool download link: https://pool.btc.com/tool
- Antpool batch tool download link: https://www.antpool.com/download.htm?m=tools&userId=83831424&coinType=BTC&lang=en
- Notes on Firmware Upgrade
- Please try to upgrade the firmware at noon, as the low temperature is not easy to form at this time. You need to adjust the angle and position of the miner or add additional heating equipment to increase the temperature at the air inlet according to the actual conditions of the mining farm. In summary, try to avoid activating the low-temp protection mode , otherwise, the miner will not be able to start up.
- When upgrading the firmware, it is better to upgrade one shelf at a time, instead of upgrading all at the same time. If all are upgraded, the hot air volume would decrease when the miners stop working abruptly, where a collective low temperature will be formed. In case of upgrading one shelf after another, the adjacent and opposite shelves are still working when the shelf is upgrading, and some missing hot air can come over, which is relatively better.
- When upgrading one shelf of the miners, upgrade the one on the top first, and then gradually upgraded downward. When the ones in the top area are being upgraded, the other ones in the bottom area are still working, which also helps the temperature of the air inlet of the upper machine to meet the requirements.
- After confirming that the device is using the latest firmware, IP and mining pool configuration can be performed.
- If you are not sure how to check if the miner is using the latest firmware, please use the BTC tool provided by our company to scan the machine status once, export the .csv form and send it to our customer service ( the file naming format is: name + scan time.csv).
IV. Attentions during Operation and Maintenance
- After the firmware upgrade is completed, if the hashboards missing issue still happens frequently, you can use the function of “locate” to light up the LED on the management page of the miner to locate the miner, then try to unplug and wait for more than one minute, and then power it up. 2. If the method mentioned above can’t solve the problem, you can turn off the power and shake the miner to check if there is any sound of the heat sinks falling off. If the chips or heat sinks fall off, it needs to be repaired.
- Please contact customer service as soon as you encounter too many abnormalities such as missing hashboard and low hashrate.
- The machine will automatically enter the protection status when the temperature is very low/high. At this time, it should be operated when the temperature returns to normal. Please avoid repeating restarts when the temperature is very low/high, which may result in equipment damage.
- Notes on restarting
- When the miners which have already been re-installed are working abnormally, please avoid direct startup at low temperature and take the preheating startup method above.
- After scanning and noticing that the miner is abnormal due to low temperature, it is necessary to improve the temperature first. Do not click restart directly in the background.
- If the low temperature reaches minus 5 degrees Celsius or lower, the machine will activate automatic protection. The recommended operating temperature of the miner is 5-35 degrees Celsius.